terça-feira, 20 de julho de 2010

Perseguir o Mundo

"Human beings travel for many reasons. Nomads travel because they have to. The curious travel because they think they need to. Traders travel because money temps them to. Imperialists and their soldiers travel because great powers order them to. Religious zealots travel because they believe a deity requires them to. The imprisoned travel because the idea of escape motivates them to.
But I travel - as do many around the world, and quite probably most of you who are reading this - for a much less obvious set of reasons. I travel to satisfy two elemental and compelling yearnings, both of which were in my case, and are in the case of many, conceived in youth - and in a time of life which, in my own case at least, was long before I in fact ever travelled anywhere at all.
(...)
I can sum it up this way: In the very early years my notion of travel was guided, quite simply, by romance, by fantasy, and by dreams. And by the time I had become a student, this sense had been transmuted, moderated, and mediated by a new need, the second element: the entirely practical need I felt to have adventure, to suffer experiences, and to enjoy and endure memorable happenings.
And I would suggest that this twin-track approach, if I can call it that, is what should perhaps underpin everybody's longing for travel. I would like to hope that the dual yearnings for romance on the one hand and adventure on the other should be the prime motivating forces that drive all of us, at least once in a while, to get away from the comfort of our living rooms and into the wild outdoors."

Simon Winchester

Como é o Tibete, pai ?

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Are You talkin' to Me ?