domingo, 21 de abril de 2013

"A Chinese Life", by Li Kunwu and P. Ôtié


«How long ago it seems now, that time when my father made me pronounce my first revolutionary words, when he carried me on his broad shoulders and marched in a parade to the glory of China. When my mother would carry me, caught up in a non-stop flood of bicycles, down streets no car had ever driven.
That China - how well I knew and loved it. Like Proust, with his Madeleine - I feel nostalgia and hold it tight against my heart. But heavens, how unhappiness abounded in that China !
Whether or not we make up a quarter of the world's population made no difference then. It was like we weren't there. Everything in the world happened without us. No chinese people anywhere. Neither on podiums, nor on Everest, nor in Space. We'd only just got hard-won seat at the U.N. and any headlines we made in the world news were for our occasional famines.
That's the country I come from. Not the land of "made in China", skyscrapers, the olympic games and the world Expo. So yes, of course we're proud of what we've made, even if it's not perfect yet.»

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Are You talkin' to Me ?